The International Hobbes Association will be sponsoring two sessions at the American Philosophical Association 2019 Eastern Division meeting, January 7–10 in New York, New York.
Room assignments will be available in the program.
Click title for abstract and (if available) a draft of the paper.
Session 1: Tuesday, Jan 8, 7:30–10:30pm (Chelsea Room)
Chair: Rosamond Rhodes (Mount Sinai School of Medicine)
- Nicola Marcucci (École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales) "Anthropology and Recognition in Hobbes's Leviathan"
- Marcus Adams (Univ. at Albany, SUNY) "Hobbes's Conceptualism"
- Paul Garofalo (Univ. of Southern California) "Obligation and Liberty in Hobbes"
- Wendell Stephenson (Fresno City College) "Sovereign Power the Same"
- Jan Narveson (Univ. of Waterloo) "The Idea of a State of Nature in Hobbes and in Moral Theory"
Session 2: Wednesday, Jan 9, 7–10pm (Madison 1)
Chair: Michael Byron (Kent State Univ.)
- Rebeccah Leiby (Boston Univ.) "Conjugal Right v. Conjugal Access: Towards a Compatibilization of Pateman and Wright"
- P. K. Pokker (Univ. of Calicut, India) "Thomas Hobbes and Methodological Shift in Social Philosophy"
- Emilio Sergio (Università della Calabria) "Hobbes's War against Boyle and Wallis"
- Meghan Robison (Montclair State Univ.) "Mother Lords and the Power of Preserving Life in Hobbes’s Leviathan"
- Joel van Fossen (Boston Univ.) " 'Birth Follows the Belly': A Reinterpretation of Natural Maternal Dominion in Hobbes"