January 8–11, 2020: International Hobbes Association Meeting, Eastern Division APA, Philadelphia, PA
The International Hobbes Association will be sponsoring two sessions at the American Philosophical Association 2020 Eastern Division meeting, Philadelphia, PA
Room assignments will be available in the APA Meeting program and added here during the meeting.
Click title for abstract and (when available) a draft of the paper.
Session 1: Thursday, Jan 9, 7:30–10:30pm
Chair: Marcus Adams (University at Albany, SUNY)
- Sarah Meier (Xavier University of Louisiana) "The political psychology of the Hobbesian subject"
- Christopher Fremaux (Stony Brook University) "Reason, Sovereignty, and Obligation in Hobbes and Pufendorf"
- Ryan Quandt (University of South Florida) "Moses, a true prophet: Thomas Hobbes and the authority of scripture"
- Rosamond Rhodes (Mount Sinai School of Medicine) "Hobbesian Equality, Baumrin, and Egoist Interpretations"
Session 2: Friday, Jan 10, 7–10pm
Chair: Michael Byron (Kent State University)
- Eva Odzuck (Friedrich Alexander University) "Hobbesian Eugenics"
- Karim Barakat (American University of Beirut) "Causation in Hobbes's Method"
- Sandra Field (Yale-NUS College) "A Puzzle for Hobbes’s Conception of Political Unity"
- Sharon Lloyd (University of Southern California) "Hobbes’s Alternative Conception of Natural Law as the Foundation of a Modern Moral Theory"